Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Gynecologist FAIL

Today I had an appointment with my "regular" gynecologist (as in not a reproductive endocrinologist). I went in because there's some weird stuff going on right now. It wasn't about wanting to get pregnant, in fact, I told him that we were considering putting the "baby thing" on hold until we figure out what is wrong with me. I hurt... a lot... and some other stuff that I'm not going to put out there on the world wide web.

He basically said, "take some ibuprofen and stop whining". Um, yeah... no exam... no lab work... nothing.

Guess I'm finding a new gynecologist. It's really not my fault he was behind and had a waiting room full of pregnant and menopausal women... I'm still paying him a whopping $250 for my 15 minutes.

What I assumed would happen... he would examine me to make sure the pain in my ovaries and cervix wasn't something abnormal (like a hugely enlarged ovary). I also assumed he would consider ordering some lab work to see if there was anything amiss. In the past, my gynecologists have also ordered ultrasounds when I'm having this kind of pain to check on the status of my ovaries AND they have also been known to do a biopsy of my uterine lining and cervical tissue.

Granted maybe all of that wasn't necessary today... but sitting there and telling me to go home and take ibuprofen without even a base exam (well, the nurse did take my BP and pulse when I arrived)... Makes me want to refuse payment.

This was his summary of my situation, (not an exact quote) "you are probably having an anovulatory cycle, with a large cyst that didn't rupture that is causing pain, your body probably didn't produce enough LH to rupture the follicle, you had some withdrawal bleeding because your body didn't start getting progesterone to support your uterine lining, you probably won't have a period when you expect to, go home, take some ibuprofen, keep your appointment with the fertility center in 3 weeks, those are hard to come by".

Okay... here's the deal. I am on CD17 and it's too soon to assume this cycle will be anovulatory, late ovulation obviously... of course my period isn't going to show up on CD29 like normal because I didn't ovulate on CD14 like normal (duh). The "withdrawal" bleeding was on CD9-15, so my body would normally be just starting to get progesterone from the corpus luteum and therefore it makes NO sense that the spotting was from lack of progesterone mid cycle. I've been having almost positive OPKs for 8 days now... so obviously my body has been TRYING to ovulate but hasn't produced enough LH to make it happen. Thanks for telling me everything I already know (or know can't possibly be the case).

So yes, I'll go away and leave you alone. I won't be seeing you again... ever. I still want to know why I hurt like crazy (especially with certain activities) and why I had midcycle bleeding that I haven't had in years (since my old issues were resolved). Thanks for brushing me off so you can see more important patients, the ones without problems you don't know how to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment