Thursday, June 7, 2012

Rapid Weight Loss and Fertility

This week marked my annual women's exam. . . I scheduled it with my RE at the fertility clinic since I don't have a gynecologist in this area and didn't really feel up to having yet another stranger poking around my girl bits.

Dr. Awesome positively gushed over my weight loss these last couple months.  He said more times than I could count "rapid weight loss is usually a time of high fertility" and advised that we give things a few months before doing anymore treatment.  He asked me to come in seven days after my next ovulation for a progesterone draw to make sure I'm having good ovulation on my own and if things are good. .  . just hang out for a couple months and keep doing what we've been doing.

I *think* I'm glad that he doesn't have the same sense of impending doom that I do about being 35 at the end of this year.  He is still confident that we can get pregnant without IVF, of course, we all know that there are people that defy all the odds and can't get pregnant despite everything looking great and I tend to be one of the lucky ones who Murphy follows around. . .

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy eating fat and watching my little ketosis sticks turn pink.  I'm going to continue to exercise and get my body into it's healthiest place so that when baby does stick, I will be physically ready!

I just finished reading Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, who knew that Paleo was so close to Atkins. . . dare I say that Dr. Atkins might have been the catalyst behind the Paleo movement.  Of course, if you listen to people talk about Atkins it's obvious pretty quickly if they read the book (and follow it) or if they do their own modified version.  It's really not a high fat or high protein diet. . . it's a low carb, adequate fat, adequate protein diet.  I like it.  For lunch I had an extra lean ground turkey burger (Thank you Costco) cooked in a bit of Kerrygold butter (grass fed, yum!) topped with some herb white cheddar and followed by a side of sauteed zucchini.  Now I'm sipping iced coffee with heavy cream and Splenda (my one concession to not completely natural food).  The fat in my foods help me feel full and satisfied.  The iced (or blended) coffee helps me feel like I'm getting a treat.   So far, I'm down 16.4 lbs and 19.5 inches!

Here's to a healthier me and prayerfully baby to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment